Australian desert lime is a grape size fruit with an intense, zesty flavour. Kicking oranges to the curb with 3 times the amount of Vitamin C, desert lime is also a very rich source of calcium, folate, Vitamin E and lutein. It also has a high potassium to sodium ratio, which just maybe could help to reduce blood pressure.
A versatile fruit, Desert lime can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes, and easily replaces what traditional lemon and lime would be used.
It’s perfect for use in cakes, biscuits, chocolate and ice cream, and adds a refreshing zing and citrus burst to dressings, marinades, pickles and preserves.
It makes a delicious flavoured butter, mayonnaise or aioli and is widely used in condiments. Try adding a drizzle of melted desert lime butter over freshly shucked oyster or steamed mussels.
It pairs perfectly with all seafood, and is an ideal finisher dotted through a seafood risotto.
It pairs well with watermelon, honeydew and rockmelon, mango, avocado, leafy greens, chilli, ginger, rice and poultry, and complements cream-based desserts.
Desert lime powder is used in citrus and lemon tart, panna cotta, sorbet, muffins and white chocolate, and adds balance to a spicy nut dukkah.
It's great for delicious flavoured drinks such as cordial, syrups and liqueurs and adds a citrus burst to cocktails and spirits such as mojitos, margaritas, martinis – almost anything using gin or vodka! It adds a refreshing twist to soda, tonic and mineral waters, and lemonade.
- Desert limes are a powerful source of antioxidants
- The antioxidant capacity of desert limes is higher than the blueberry, which is renowned worldwide as the ‘health-promoting fruit’.
- Boasts three times the amount of Vitamin C than oranges. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which helps rejuvenate the skin, enhance skin firmness, even tone and revitalise tissue.
- Desert limes are a rich source of Vitamin E, folate, calcium, and lutein (a compound that plays an important role in eye health and wellbeing).
- It also has a high potassium:sodium ratio, which may help reduce blood pressure.